Friday, October 1, 2010

Carnation Wreath...

Feathering My Nest has moved!... come check all of this out over at www.featheringmynest.ca/blog

So I've mentioned this wreath a few times now... here is a picture of it from the Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Ideas book that I got a few weeks back when the Momma was up here visiting us...


In the book they use real carnations... I love that idea and imagine that it would smell so good... but I'm afraid that it would be pricey and not last very long... they do suggest that you can use fake flowers... only they don't really show you much in the way of putting it together... so here's my go at a tute for you!..


Supplies:

12" - 16" Foam Wreath Form - picked mine up from Michael's with a 40% off coupon!

60 - 80 Carnations (this is what the book calls for... I think you should times that by 1.5 or 2... )  The carnations pictured above are quite inexpensive at Walmart - a bunch of 6 for $1.00!.. and they actually don't look that bad for a fake flower...  I choose red because it looks so rich and Christmassy... it would be sweet in white as well...

Glue Gun

Glue Sticks

Cutters - don't use your good scissors to cut down the flower stems... there is metal inside

Paper - to cover your work surface if you don't want to get hot glue all over it...  I'll definitely do this next time...

Wide Red Ribbon - satin or matte... its your choice

Thin Wire - to secure the bow and to tack it to the wreath


It doesn't hurt to have a helper... though my helper wasn't the most helpful... she was really cute...


Here is a shot of the carnations... cutters... 16" foam wreath...


Ooo... the mighty glue gun... it might be wise to keep a glass with some water and ice cubes and a small hand towel nearby... I did sustain one burn on this project tonight... 

Take the bunches of flowers and cut the carnations from the bunch using the cutters leaving a short stem on the flower... say 1.5 - 2 inches...

Pull the little stem out of the flower and put a bit of hot glue on that sucker and stick it back into the flower... I did this just to ensure that the wind doesn't blow any of these flowers off of the wreath as it will be hanging on the front door in December...


See the little bit of glue ooze?.. thats ok!.. if anything it'll help the flower stick into the wreath... next I put a bit of glue on the shorty stem to help hold it into the wreath form...


Then you go to town and stick these in all over the wreath form... I put a line on the outside edge... then the inside edge... then I filled in between... and as you move along you can go back and poke one in here or there if it looks like its missing some... as you do a bit step back and take a look... you'll see if any spots need filling in...


I'm too impatient to do the outside and inside edges completely at first and then fill it in... I moved around the wreath in sections... a little bit of outside... a little bit of inside... then I filled that in around the front of the wreath form...

Keep working your way around the wreath and VOILA!.. it turns into a nice lush wreath...


Only not in my case this evening... I ran out of carnations!..  I was hoping I had enough... I feel really tacky buying fake flowers!.. haha!.. Now I have to walk through the store with another huge bunch of these!.. My running out of carnations is why I suggested doubling the number that BHG suggests that you use...  nothing worse when you're halfway through a project and BAM!.. you've run out of something major!..


So this is where it gets left off tonight...  


Not before a final inspection though!.. Oh!.. a note!.. The ribbon that I had bought seems to not be wide enough for the size that this wreath is going to be... I bought a really rich red satin ribbon with wire down the edges... I'll have to pick up more ribbon that is little wider... one for a bow... two for a nice way to hang it... 


I couldn't go without one more shot of my little helper baby Cleo... perhaps Milo will help me with the next project!..

In a few days now once I get back to get the rest of the carnations that I need and get this finished I will update the post with the final product!..

I'm linking this post up to the following link parties:
My Romantic Home - Show & Tell Friday
The Shabby Nest  - Frugal Friday


Update: March 13, 2011

So I've finally finshed the carnation wreath this afternoon!.. how many months later!?.  I just found more of these fake fleurs just a couple of weekends ago and have just today gotten the time to finish up this wreath...


so... snip... snip... snip...


...and all of the fleurs were apart from their bunches...


...glue... glue... glue... and then just a couple left to go in and fill any holes...


...VOILA!..  Done!.. Finally!..


Here it is on the front door... No wide shots... everything is looking sort of shabby and needs a good wash down... its almost like spring has sprung and the snow is melting... but is dusty around the door and steps...

C'mon Christmas!.. I want to hang this wreath for Christmas!.. haha... I may add a bow at the bottom of the wreath...

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful wreath Lacey! I think I may take inspiration for this and try it :)
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea, and it turned out beautifully! It's something that could be done in any color for any season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wreath is lovely. I also love the pictures you took. They are precious. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! It is such a quick easy project and the results are beautiful - a very satisfying wreath to make! If you make one too send me some snaps!! I'd love to add to the post and put up the photos of your wreath! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I've gotta try that. Looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh la la, I like it! I so wanna make one for Valentine's Day! Thanks for the inspiration.

    I am loving your blog..hope you'll come visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This wreath is beautiful. I think I will make one for spring/summer! Thanks for the inspiration! Please visit me anytime at http://twogingerprinces.blogspot.com/Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wreath turned out so lovely! I'll need to put it on my list of projects to do. I made a bunch of carnations out of tissue paper. Check them out when you have a chance.
    http://charmingdecor.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemade-carnations.html

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you for stopping by!