Sunday, May 1, 2011

Turkey Soup...

Feathering My Nest has moved!... come check all of this out over at www.featheringmynest.ca/blog

It didn't snow last night!.. thank eff!.. today the weather has been great...  Chris and I ran out super early this morning and picked up a few things at the grocery store for the week and then to Home Depot for a few plants and the deck wash to prep the deck before we re-stain it... We washed off all of the deck furniture and the deck...  tomorrow it's supposed to be 18 degrees... so I'm thinking we'll get to staining tomorrow evening... I'm heading into work this evening... blaaahhh...


Last night I took last week's roasted turkey bones...  that were tossed in the freezer last weekend...  I put them in my big pot and covered them with cold water... then simmered them with a quartered onion, a couple of carrots, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and some coarse salt and a few peppercorns... for four hours...  it was late when that was done so I threw the pot in the fridge for the night with everything left in it...


After we got home this morning I got the pot out of the fridge and back on the stove... picked out all of the bones and large pieces... then strained the liquid though a metal mesh strainer to get all of the skin bits and small bones out... 


Yay for spring and easy access to my composter... I saved all of the peels and end bits of the veggies for the composter...


I put the broth back on simmer and then threw in some turnip, carrots, celery, onion, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper...


I used about equal amount of the veggies... after a couple hours of simmering while we were out working on cleaning the deck and repairing the vole damage in the yard I threw in about 3/4 of a cup of rice and then ripped up and threw in a large amount of turkey that we also had left over and frozen...


After another hour it was ready to eat... it was sooo delicious

... it smelled like "home" in the house all day... and by home I mean my Momma's house when she's making turkey soup!.. or when my Nan used to make turkey soup... I can't wait for lunch tomorrow... turkey soup and buttered bread!..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you for stopping by!