Saturday, February 16, 2013

Back In Newfoundland...

Feathering My Nest has moved!... come check all of this out over at www.featheringmynest.ca/blog

To be blunt it's a shitty reason to be back in Newfoundland a Grandfather's passing but it is always comforting to be "back home" with family and friends…  I hopped a last minute flight this past Wednesday with just two hours to get myself ready… shower… hair… packing… luckily my Pickle got home from work in time to help me get everything jammed into my suitcase before delivering me to the airport… 


I lucked out on the second half of my trip… after running from one plane to the next in Toronto… as we landed after I was supposed to have boarded my next flight… It took me a good 30 minutes to catch my breath after I got to my seat… and that's when the luck kicked in… my seat was next two two empty seats… I had three seats all to myself… I was sure to use them all… I stretched out… 


I didn't have a lot of time in town before my brother and I headed down to St. Lawrence… but we stopped for breakfast… see deliciousness above…  and a couple fast stops downtown on our way along… 


…a couple weekends ago at the bachelorette party for Mere out in Banff I managed to lose my magnifying glass necklace… the whole kit and caboodle… but I found a replacement AND a larger one at the Newfoundland Weavery… I scooped them both up… Now to find new chains to hang them on… if you know of a good place to get a nice plain yet slightly chunky chain to hang them on let me know!… 


There is the oddest second hand store down on Water Street… I think its called Water Street Variety… they have some old and vintage items… general convenience store type things… and a bit of Asian grocery items… very random… but I found two beautiful old books there that will make a great addition to our front room shelf…  


I'm hoping to squeeze in a little more treasure hunting when I get back into town now before taking off back to Calgary next week… and of course there are a few friendly stops I have to make to see a few people that I've not seen for quite some time and miss dearly… 


I'm hoping for some nice weather too… I'd like to get around downtown for a little spell to get some more pictures of the beautiful salt box houses… if you ever have the chance to travel to St. John's do it… maybe do it in the late summer though…  


The weather has been fairly good since arriving… the past couple of days had been a little hectic… but today the Momma and I got out to one of the beaches… the others will require the quad to get out over the snow… I wanted to go beach combing… 


Amazingly we found an old float in a big tangle of net and rope… but we did not have a knife… but the Momma saved the day with her caveman rope cutting techniques...


I found a load of beautiful drift wood… and apparently the other beaches are even better for driftwood hunting… I'll have a separate suitcase filled with driftwood going back to Calgary… I'm not joking… I'm hoping to have a booth at a vintage sale this coming June… more details to follow once I hear if I've made the cut… and I would love to have a nautical feel to my booth… nautical and nesty… 


Here is the beach that we visited this afternoon… the waves were ROARING… If I had a lawn chair to sit on I could have stayed there for hours just watching the waves and listening to their music… the ocean is quite the soul healer… whenever I'm here in the summer my shoes fly off as I run towards the water… it's always freezing but there is something so calming about standing in the ocean's salty brine… 


Here are just a few pieces of the driftwood haul laid out in the living room to dry out… see the paint all worn off of the float over to the far far left!?… it's so weathered that the rope has a dent worn into the side of the top of the float!… amazing… 


We had to walk part of the way down to the beach… and along the way I found this old man's beard growing on some tree branches… it's like coral… 


Docs on the beach…  I had my parka on too… and a beanie… and scarf… luckily it wasn't windy but it was rather cool out there today… I did get too close and got splashed up over my boots but the snow on the walk back up out of it took care of any salt that got left behind… 

Tomorrow is calling for a winter storm… snow… then rain… then freezing rain…  I've got my fingers crossed that I can get out of the house to pickup supplies to refinish Mom's dining room hutch before the bad weather hits… wish me luck!…  

xo
Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you for stopping by!