Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dismantling a Pallet...

Feathering My Nest has moved!... come check all of this out over at www.featheringmynest.ca/blog

I was very excited starting out… I dragged two pallets to the basement after dropping Chris at work for the day… our Saturday Italian Supermarket pizza plans quashed and my new DIY plans now in place… 

...now after hammering and smashing… splintering and nail pulling I sit here snuggling with Ollie feeling defeated… turns out ripping one of these bad boys apart is a little harder than I anticipated!.. Don't get me wrong… you can do it… but start out well armed!.. hammer… rubber mallet… thick pants… ear plugs… I had all but the ear plugs… and I was wearing lulu leggings so I got a few big splinters… 


Here are the two beauties that I started out with… 


…weapons of choice...


I say I feel defeated mostly because it took a lot out of me to get the pallets apart… I did get a nice number of boards from the large one… the smaller one I still have some more work to do to get it all apart… halfway through I figured out that instead of pulling on a hammer to yank out nails that hitting the hammer handle with the rubber mallet works quite well ;)


Quite a number of boards were partially split when I'd started so those ones came apart completely…  see that stack of rubble in the middle… yeah that also lead to the defeated feeling… I was hoping to get more full boards… at first I just tackled the pallet with a chisel and hammer… then I googled and found this video: How To Video 

It's a different type of pallet than the ones I had to take apart but the process is basically the same... start at the bottom and bang the edge off!.. things went more smoothly after that…


I will grab another pallet when I pickup Chris from work… as you can see I've begun to mark out boards to cut up for a project that I want to make… only I've enough board for one of two circles that I need… 

…for now… I'm taking a break after pulling these pallets apart and I'm getting some snuggles from Ollie… and I'ma make some cinnamon sugar toast… Mmm… comfort toast… 


Don't get me wrong… I'm not unexcited now… I just wish it was a little easier and less time consuming!.. there's my lack of patience shining through… I just want to be working on the project that I'm ripping these pallets apart for!.. Stay tuned!.. it's a gooder!..

Do you have any pallet dismantling tips?

xo
Lacey


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you for stopping by!